How to avoid a fire hazard in your home

We hear of fires in homes, but we hope it won’t happen to us. It’s one of those dreaded thoughts because no one wants their belongings to go up in smoke.

In order to avoid a fire in your home, there are a few simple steps you can take:

1. Chargers

If you leave your phones, tablets or laptops charged for a long time, you will be charging a battery that is fully charged and this can cause the device to overheat and catch fire. Leaving chargers on fabrics when charging appliances can also cause a fire.

2. Leaving a hot frying pan on the hob for too long

Do you leave food frying and go on to do other chores around the house?

If a frying pan overheats, the oil in the pan can reach a high temperature and catch fire. Try staying around the cooker when frying or get someone at home to keep an eye.

3. Extension leads

Inserting multiple plugs into an extension lead can cause a spark and fire.

Consider hiring a qualified engineer to install additional sockets around the house to avoid overloading a socket.

Carry out safety checks for loose wires, cables and damaged sockets and hire an electrician to replace any damaged cables. You can also replace cables at a reasonable price.

4. Candles

Leaving burning candles or incense unattended is a fire hazard. Wax and ashes can drop on to fabric and start a fire.

Place candles or incense on a surface where you can see them to avoid droppings.

5. Light bulbs

Light bulbs can get very hot and need to be checked regularly. Lamps have a wattage label to help you choose the right light bulb. Choosing the wrong bulb is a hazard.

6. Keep matches, candles and lighters away from children

Children have curious minds and would want to know how to use matches and lighters. Make sure they are hidden from children by putting them on top of a cupboard.

7. Electric heaters

Electric heaters can get too hot, so need to be kept safe by regulating the thermostat and not leaving them on overnight.

8. Standby

Leaving appliances on standby doesn’t mean they have been turned off. Electrical currents are still running in the appliances left on standby.

9. Fireplace

Some fireplaces are exposed and if objects are thrown into a fireplace, this is a hazard. Protect fireplaces by placing a fireproof guard in front of it.


Invest in a smoke alarm to detect smoke, a fire extinguisher for putting a fire out, and a fire blanket to help you put out a fire if you need to. But stay safe.